ABOUT CROSSFIT (CF)
- What is CrossFit all about?
- CrossFit is a fitness and lifestyle program based on functional movements. Functional movements mimic everyday action (pushing, pulling, climbing, squatting, picking things off the ground, etc.) The CF program emphasizes on the use of variations of functional movements executed at high intensity.
- Who is this program for?
- CrossFit is for everyone simply because of the nature of the movement. Functional movement is organic, multi- jointed and natural. Learning the techniques of functional movement will serve to only help you move better and achieve proficiency in the execution of your daily tasks. Continuous training of the CrossFit program will see you achieve the ability to move greater loads over longer distances over shorter periods of time. In essence, expect to be, among other things, faster, stronger and more efficient.
- How is CrossFit different from other workouts?
- There is a saying in Crossfit, The science is in the program CrossFit is evidence based fitness; its results are measurable, observable and repeatable. CrossFits aim is not to specialize. Its movements are constantly varied and functional to build the athletes competency to prepare for any physical contingency.
- CrossFits programming is built on three disciplines – Gymnastics, Olympic lifting and metabolic conditioning. Unlike other workouts, CrossFit works the three metabolic pathways (oxidative aka aerobic, glycolytic and phosphagen) simultaneously, eliciting a stimulus and adaptation that is unmatched by any other program to date. The science is in the program. The magic is in the movement.
- Learn from our certified trainers the techniques on executing these movements and watch as the science of the program take you to a new level of fitness. That is CrossFits promise to you.
- What are CrossFit’s 10 components of fitness all about?
- For years, very little effort has been made to define fitness. The conventional description of fitness amounted the word to a state of being fit without providing further elaboration. So elusive it seems that even NSCA, the leading body in exercise physiology does little to attempt to define fitness.
- CrossFit builds its program off a complete explanation of fitness. Its movements are functional and varied. The idea is to step away from specialization to allow the trainee to train for any random tasks thrown at them. If you will, to mimic lifes offerings this is often unpredictable as it is challenging. The program has been proven to be measurable, quantifiable and repeatable in helping its trainee achieve fitness like no other program has offered before.
- It is CrossFits believe that fitness is inclusive of these 10 general physical skills.
10 GENERAL PHYSICAL SKILLS
If your goal is optimum physical competence then all the general physical skills must be considered:
- Cardiovascular/respiratory endurance
- The ability of body systems to gather, process, and deliver oxygen.
- The ability of body systems to process, deliver, store, and utilize energy.
- The ability of a muscular unit, or combination of muscular units, to apply force.
- The ability to maximize the range of motion at a given joint.
- The ability of a muscular unit, or combination of muscular units, to apply maximum force in minimum time.
- The ability to minimize the time cycle of a repeated movement.
- The ability to combine several distinct movement patterns into a singular distinct movement.
- The ability to minimize transition time from one movement pattern to another.
- The ability to control the placement of the bodies center of gravity in relation to its support base.
- The ability to control movement in a given direction or at a given intensity.
CrossFits programming takes you through three modalities, gymnastics, Olympic lifting and metabolic conditioning. Collectively, the fusion of the above disciplines will help yield a broad and general fitness inclusive of the 10 components above.
Learn more about CrossFits definition of fitness, including the above 10 general skills.
ABOUT CROSSFIT EQUATOR (CFEQ)
- Whats the minimum age for CF?
- The minimum age for CrossFit is 12 years old. However, parental consent will be required before the child is able to enroll in a CrossFit class (private or personal training).
- Why is the membership so expensive?
- CrossFit is a strength and conditioning program which is based on the acquirement of skills and knowledge of techniques and body mechanics. Expect to learn new skills and movements on a regular basis. As CrossFit coaches, we put back the art of teaching back into training, we demonstrate commitment, passion, diligence, support and motivation towards you and your fitness goals. Its like having access to personal guidance at a fraction of the cost of a boutique gym.
- What are your payment modes?
- Currently, while we sort out our Bank accounts, we would appreciate if you would make the necessary payments in cash. Your understanding and patience is highly appreciated.
- Why are the Fundamental Classes compulsory?
- Fundamental Classes are a great and non- threatening way to start. It is especially useful for a newbie because the session is time devoted to teaching the fundamental movements used in CrossFit. These one hour sessions that focuses solely achieving competency in the execution of the movements which will allow you to confidently and safely join a group class and perform the WOD (Workout Of the Day).
- I’m not new to CrossFit, are the Fundamental Classes applicable to me too?
- The purpose of the Fundamental Classes is to ensure that you have the skills to safely engage in a group class. If you feel that you have knowledge of the 9 fundamental movements, call us for an assessment by one of our Coaches to be exempted from the Fundamental Classes. You should be able to demonstrate proper technique and required range of motion to our Coaches to qualify for an exemption.
- One size fits all?
- CrossFit is centered on three disciplines. They are gymnastics, Olympic lifting and metabolic conditioning. Collectively, movements are hand picked and a system of programming have been devised using these movements to help the athlete elicit the best results in terms of building strength, stamina, cardiovascular endurance, flexibility, speed, power, agility, accuracy, balance and co- ordination.
- CrossFit believes that true fitness is one which encompasses the 10 general physical skills above. Over 500 movements have been identified across these three modalities. We are confident that there are enough options for variations to accommodate even the most discerning of athlete, especially so if their intention is to attain a broad, general and inclusive fitness centered on functional movements. After all, the needs of an athlete vs. our grandparents vary by degree and not kind. CrossFit is designed for all, regardless of age and gender who are interested in achieving optimal fitness through the use of varied and functional movement.
- My body gets immune to workouts easily, how is CF going to help stop that?
- Stagnation occurs in the absence of noticeable stimulus to the body. CrossFit programming is constantly varied to ensure the body experiences constant stimulus to encourage change.
- I dont have much time, is CF for me?
- Longer doesnt mean better. CrossFits programming is designed to help the athlete achieve a broad, general and inclusive fitness through the use of varied, functional movements with intensity as the key to achieving the results you seek. A CrossFit class lasts no longer than an hour – a small investment of time towards better health and fitness.
- Are there different workouts for male and females?
- We have scaled down versions of a workout for all who feel they might struggle with the prescribed workout. However, the movements for all will be the same. Remember that the needs regardless of age, gender and fitness background vary by degree and not kind.
- I’m a newbie, will I be able to cope?
- Definitely, CrossFit emphasizes on achieving efficiency of technique and safety above all else. Expect to spend a considerable amount of time on building solid foundation blocks based on technique before contemplating on including intensity to your workout. Come with a willingness to learn and you will quickly discover how CrossFit is not only useful but fun at the same time.
- What if I cant do whats prescribed (RxD)?
- One of the reasons that CrossFit is suitable for all is its scalability. When engaging a WOD (Workout Of the Day), pick the suitable weights or substitutes do-able for you if the prescribed seems a bit all too much. Unsure of what the substitues are, dont worry, our Ccoaches will help you along with that.
- Do I need to come early to warm up?
- At CFEQ instead of warming up, we like to use our foam roller (or PVC pipe) to release those tight muscles. This method is called a myofascial release and we have found this to be very effective in reducing injury and increasing range of motion and flexibility. Please come 15 minutes before class to foam roll. Failure to comply will result in punishment. See gym rules.
- What should I bring for the workout?
- Wear comfortable clothes that you can train in and shoes that are suitable for cross training. A lot of people wear a flat-soled shoe for the strength based sessions and a cross-trainer or running shoe for the other sessions. Bring a water bottle and towel.
Your random thoughts
- Im an existing CrossFit- er visiting Singapore. How do I go about using the premises?
- You can pay per class if you would like to squeeze in a session or two during your short visit. For longer durations, choose the appropriate package that works for you.
- What is the class schedule like?
- At this time, we only have afternoon and evening classes. View our schedule for more details.
- Why should I buy a CF T-shirt?
- For the simple reason that you are proud to be a CrossFitter (as you should be). Your show of support will be able to help CFEQ with its effort to expand in Indonesia.
- What exactly is functional movement all about?
- Functional movement is the engagement of universal motor recruitment patterns. That means these movements are natural as they are safe and effective. The mastery of functional movement will allow the body to move better and prepare itself to face physical contingencies life might throw at you.